Friday, September 29, 2017

Scattered Thoughts on a Friday


I ran out of my favorite herb this week, fresh garlic, and then I found out it's not technically an herb it's a veggie being a member of the onion family.  It's scientific name is Allium sativum.  I know I can use garlic salt, which I always have, but certain dishes just cry out for fresh garlic.  I was making Chicken Cacciatore and I had to use the saddest old garlic cloves you've ever seen.  It turned out alright, but not truly up to my standard.  We've tried growing them here, but no success.
I bought a couple of little pies, they were on sale 2 for 1, instead of a birthday cake.  We got a blueberry and a peach.  They were good, just long on crust and short on fruit.  I guess when it finally cools down here--it was 96º yesterday and will be 90º today-- I'm going to have to break down and make a fruit pie.  I've made pumpkin pie, but that's about it.
A book I pre-ordered came in just before my birthday, Sleeping Beauties by Stephan King and his son Owen.  It's 720 pages so I may be reading it for awhile.  He's the one author who actually scares me.
We ordered a couple of new desks, nothing very fancy, but even cheap ones aren't cheap.  Mac has started putting the first one together. Our old ones are so old and I can't even remember when we got them.  But I do know they came to Georgia with us and we've been here 14 years.
An actual, honest to God, cold front is supposed to come through here tonight and tomorrow's temperature should be in the low 80's and Sunday's in the low 70's, I'm excited.
Starting to get ready for a trip, I never post about leaving, why advertise.  But as always I know the word for snail, caracol, so that I don't accidentally order it on the menu.
Hope you have a great weekend.

21 comments:

  1. A coooollllldddd front came through here, but supposed to be hot again next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your trip and take that book with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday, Janet!
    I'm waiting for that cold front, too. It's clouding up right now; maybe the rain will bring it in. I hope your trip is in a cool climate where you can see the sights without sweating to death.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wondering if you're taking a vacation to somewhere cold just to cool down? We love Georgia, but you made us reconsider ever visiting that state is the summer time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are right- there is nothing like fresh garlic in a dish. I use garlic powder, too. I like it better than the salt actually, but will use the salt in a pinch (pinch- salt--pinch of salt--get it? oh nevermind).

    It cooled down to the 40s here last night. Day before yesterday we broke all records when it hit 90°. Crazy. Tonight there is supposed to be frost north of us. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was planning on trying to plant some garlic. DH threw it out, no reason. Men!
    Cooler today, and going to be cooler all weekend. Good sleeping weather, at least a lot better. It will get warm again, but I don't think it will get 'Devil's Armpit' warm again until next year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We don't have much of a season change here, so the autumn is when I always yearn to head to places that do. I hope y'all have a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nothing like fresh garlic cloves minced up in a recipe. Sorry, I've not kept up, where are you going on your trip? Exciting! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Garlic and fresh ginger a must for my cooking.
    We have had cooler days and I am so happy. Fall is heaven.
    Hope that cool front comes for you.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read one Stephen King book, Salem's Lot, years ago. Read it in one day and took it back to the library the very next day. Wanted it out of my house. Saw may 2-3 of his books turned into movies, equally scared. Brilliant talented writer and he owns a corgi; that gives him positive points in my book :)

    Your trip sounds fun! Glad to hear the weather is cooling down a bit!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shame about the garlic. Looking forward to hearing more about your trip, wishing you a wonderful time away.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Caracol is Spanish so you could be travelling to any of the many Spanish speaking countries - wherever it is hope that you have a wonderful time.
    Just don't read Sleeping Beauty at night, and especially if you are alone!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mick's read a lot of Stephen King books but I've never been able to get into them. Eleanor went to see the remake of It before she went back to university but she wasn't overkeen on it. I suppose it's one of those films which doesn't live up to the book because Mick enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His books are always better than the movies they make from them.

      Delete
  14. Love the illustration of the garlic pickers. We always have garlic, tried to grow some once but like yours the bulbs were small and the cloves weren't as plump as shop bought ones:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Send that cold wave down a bit further south, we could use it! Enjoy your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We are very cool here. I hope where ever you go you have a marvelous time:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love garlic, haven't tried growing it. Interested to hear what the books like, I do enjoy a good Stephen King, sounds like his son may have inherited the talent xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Chicken Cacciatore is a nice dish ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

                               GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS Anyone who blogged with Janet knew she was a huge livelong fan of ...